Friday, January 11, 2008

Week one roundup

The glossary and the lecture slides are now available online via a link section I added to right hand side of this page. The glossary will be updated occasionally, I'll think of some way of making it obvious whether it is new or not (like maybe putting the date at the top....). Lecture slides will not, unfortunately be available ahead of time this year but I'll put them up on the Friday of each week. I think it was useful to spend 5 minutes reviewing terminology and important historical events and people at the end of todays lecture so I'll continue to do that in future weeks. Honors students - don't forget to sign up and start posting here. If you are unsure how to do this you are welcome to come to office hours (W and Th 12-1 in 4324 LSB) and I'll give you a quick tutorial. If you are not an honors student and would like to post here just send me your e-mail and I'll send you an invite. Everyone is welcome to post comments on any posts and you don't need to be signed up to do that. As I mentioned in the first lecture this is a new class so any and all feedback is welcome - your comments really do make a difference. As an instructor the most annoying thing is to get feedback on the end of term evaluations that could easily have been fixed during the class ('spoke too quietly', 'text on slides was too small' etc). If you let me know of any problems by e-mail I'll try to fix them. Finally, I am going to be teaching this class this coming summer, in summer session 2008, and in future years in the winter semester. If you are enjoying the class I'd appreciate it if you could help spread the word. I really DO believe this class will cover a lot of material everyone should know so I'd like to continue the class and grow it a little. Finally, thanks to you all for signing up this year for the inaugural event. See you in class next week for Tuberculosis aka TB aka The White Plague aka Consumption.

No comments: