Friday, January 25, 2008

Dengue fever



In a strange crossing of interests, Amazon.com just recommended the latest release by a band called Dengue Fever to me. Usually I disregard these e-mails but this one obviously caught my eye. On further investigation I am happy to report that Dengue Fever are not only not a heavy metal band but play 'Southeast Asian pop, Vietnam-war-era lounge music, klezmer, ska, surf rock, and Ethiopian jazz' AND one of the band apparently caught Dengue Fever which is where the band got their name. I suspect Anthrax, Cholera, Bubonic Plague and Ebola can't say that.

Dengue fever is a hemorrhagic fever caused by a virus found primarily in the tropics and Africa, with a geographical spread similar to malaria. Dengue is transmitted to humans by mosquitos. Although it is a hemorrhagic fever the mortality rate, especially with medical care, is much lower than other hemorrhagic fevers such as Ebola hemorrhagic fever.

(Sorry the video isn't actually a video but I like this track - One Thousand Tears Of A Tarantula.)

No comments: