Thursday, February 5, 2009

Perverse is not using condoms

I could probably keep this up for the rest of the course but I'll try to restrict myself to some more thought provoking examples. Next up in my survey of AIDS awareness campaigns around the world is Germany. Here are some posters from German AIDS awareness campaigns. The first aims to promote condom use with the warning that "It's easy to lose your head when you're horny". The German text by the red ribbon, Vergessen ist ansteckend, means 'forgetting is infectious' .

The next three images are from the Michael Stich Foundation, a group founded by a former tennis professional that focuses on HIV/AIDS awareness and works extensively with HIV-infected children in German-speaking countries. The last two images are a little explicit so I'll post fairly modest sized versions with the accompanying text, you can click the image for a larger version. I'm doing this to save embarrassing anyone who may be reading this on a library or other public computer!

I think you can probably guess which text goes with which picture, but in order, we have:

"The chin is from granddad. The eyes are from dad. The HIV is from mom."

"The only perversion is not to use a condom."







"Only 0.003 mm latex lie between life and death."

No comments: