Friday, February 13, 2009

Level 4 Virtual Tour




So today in class Prof. Latto was talking about the different Biosafety levels of labs and how each lab differs. I was curious what it would be like to go into a level 4 lab, but because they have restricted access and so many safety precautions I didn't think I would ever see the inside of one...until I found this virtual tour of one online. It has pictures and details about each aspect of level 4 labs and the steps that workers have to take before they can even enter one. I thought it was interesting that the entire building has to be airtight. It makes sense when you think about it, but I didn't realize the extent to which they take precautions against leaks. The windows cannot be opened, no air flows under doors, the air ducts are welded stainless steel, and the air coming out of the building goes through two filters that remove particles smaller than 0.3 microns. In case you were wondering how small that is, check out the picture on the right. The dust particle is one micron. (That's small!)
It's better to be safe than sorry!



No comments: