Sunday, January 20, 2013

Tuberculosis educational game

I found this game at the Nobel Prize website. It ties into many topics we have covered, or will cover in  this class.

The Tuberculosis educational game and related reading, are based on the 1905 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, which was awarded for investigations and discoveries concerning the disease tuberculosis, "TB".

Maybe I'm just not in the mood but this has to be the worst game ever. I knew exactly what I was supposed to be doing but got so bored after 10 minutes I tried hitting Wilma, the 'clever virtual maid' with the microscope. I guess there's a reason they don't let you do that. It also seemed sexist to have the scientist be a man and the 'maid' be a woman. But then you have to remember that history WAS very sexist. Just for the record I would have tried hitting Professor Koch with the microscope but he is strangely absent. Wilma is the only person present. Now I feel bad for trying to hit her. Sorry Wilma. I guess Koch probably had many assistants but I think they should have put Julius Petri in the game rather than the, presumably fictitious, Wilma.

No comments: