Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Black Death - the Movie


I'm not sure how extensive the 'historical adventure horror' genre is but I guess this  movie is firmly within it. Not really my cup of tea - I felt obliged to watch it given the title - but it does make you glad to be living in the 21st century.

From the Director:

It's a 'medieval guys on a mission' movie. The period of the black death – what's fantastical and rich about that period? I said, 'What if we took a realistic approach?' The people of the time believe the plague was sent by God to punish them for their sins, or by the Devil to torment them. I wanted to find out what the characters felt and posit them on a journey of 'is it real? Or is it not real?' What would a necromancer be like if he existed? We added this fundamentalist knight, so it touches on fundamentalism. It's a super dark film but it's exciting. It's like a dark parable about how things haven't really moved on in the last 600 years.

No comments: